Fort Cornwallis is the spot where Captain Francis Light first landed in 1786. Soon after taking possession of the island, Francis Light erected a fort of nibong palms at the tip of the cape which was then called Fort Point. Captain Francis Light then named it after the Governor-General in Bengal - Charles Cornwallis.
The wooden fort was reconstructed in stone between 1808 to 1810. Today, only the outer walls remain.
For those who are interested in the history of Penang, this is one spot that should not be missed.
(Fort Cornwallis is located at: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah, 10200 Georgetown, Penang. It is managed by Sebagus Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd. )
Credits: Sebagus Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd